Moving & Packing Tips
- Don’t move wardrobes, drawers etc., while full; you can break them.
Only fill them when they are in place and fully assembled and secured.
- Pack clothing and personal goods should be packed in solid, strong, secure boxes.
- Protected cushions in plastic.
- Where possible, remove the legs from furniture items, e.g. bed bases, tables etc., to avoid damage and save space.
- Vacuum food crumbs from lounges to prevent attracting vermin.
- Stack chairs seat to seat with cloth or paper separating them.
- Use furniture protectors on sofas, recliners and anything of value.
- Ensure all fridges and freezers are empty, clean and dry before storing.
- Leave doors slightly ajar with a rolled-up ball of packing tape to prevent mould.
- A deodoriser placed inside fridges or freezers is also a good idea.
- If you pack items inside your fridges and freezers, you scratch the insides or damage the shelving, best to leave them empty.
Glass and Breakables
- Wrap all breakable items separately in a tissue or packing paper box and ensure they are marked “Fragile”.
- Pack breakables in sturdy double-walled cardboard boxes.
- Protect fragile items by wrapping them individually in packing paper (newsprint can be very messy and possibly stain and damage patterns).
- Place packing in the top and bottom of cartons for added protection.
- Place plates, saucers and bowls on their sides to prevent any breakage.
- Use packing paper to fill empty spaces.
- Ensure you haven’t stacked heavy items on top of boxes containing breakables.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard or proper picture/mirror boxes.
- If the original boxes are unavailable, ask about our speciality boxes for electronic items.
- Ensure all electronic equipment is clean and dry before storing.
- Ensure that items above or on top of electronic equipment will not fall down or damage the surfaces.